Sunday 20 April 2014

My First and Probably Only Beauty Related Post

I'm not much of a girly girl. I'm not a tomboy, although I did used to enjoy climbing trees as a child. I just never really got into that whole hair / make up / beauty thing.


About two years ago, I chopped my hair off into a pixie crop. Bold move you might say. My friends certainly did, especially since I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it! So did I do this to make a fashion statement? Was I inspired by some celebrity magazine? 

No... The real reason I did it? I was fed up of standing next to my friends on the train station platform and feeling like I looked a mess. But was I going to start getting up earlier to straighten and style my hair? 

No... Because I can't. I don't know how and I can't be bothered spending the time to learn.

The logical answer (for me at any rate) was to chop it all off. It would take less time to dry and I could just get up in the morning and not even have to brush it if I took it short enough. I've never looked back.


I'm not better when it come to my face. I wash it with warm water and a flannel and I don't wear make up unless it's a special event. Again, some people I know think this is brave on my part. "Oh, I couldn't face the world without my make up on". 

No I'm not. I'm lazy. I'd rather drink tea and read twitter on a morning than paint my face.

This is what I look like. If you don't like it, I don't care. 

Plus, I won't lie, I'm just not very good with make up. Even for a special occasion my attempts are minimal. I'm sure I could learn, I just can't be bothered to practise. 


I am a fan of fashion and that might be a direction this blog heads at some point but it is highly unlikely there will ever be make up haul or beauty product review. That's just not who I am.

However. One thing I can recommend is an aloe vera hair rinse. It is particularly good if you have dandruff or an itchy scalp, but also it's just quite nice for adding a bit of shine. It's really easy to make and best of all, once you get yourself an aloe plant, it is free!


Meet my Jungle.


That entire massive tangle of spikey leaves was grown from three tiny shoots that a very kind person once sent me through the post. If you have an aloe, you'll always have an aloe. They just multiply.

All you need to do this is a chopping board, a serrated knife a bowl and a sieve. I am aware there is a stick blender in the picture. It turned out I didn't need it. The second bowl was to put all the left over bits to keep them out of the way.


Extracting The Gel.


Take a leaf.

Slice in half.

Place in the sieve. You then basically use the sieve like a grater to smush the gel through into the bowl below. 

Repeat.

It will take a while to drain through because it is so thick. My mum tastefully describes it as the texture of snot. Might be fun for the kids to play with though!


Super Gloopy


See, fun to play with. If you keep going for enough leaves you will end up with a pale green gel. Obviously if you use bigger leaves it will take a lot less time!


Package and Storage.


Finally, all that is left to do is decant into some sort of tub and store in the fridge. I'm not 100% sure of the shelf life what with it being a natural product but it will probably do at least a week if you don't use it all up. Use your noggin, if it still seems fresh keep it. If it's gone a bit funny, tip it down the sink.


I hope you find this helpful if you're looking to improve your hair, or just want something to do with your monster aloe vera plant to help thin it out!


Loves, Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment