Saturday 2 August 2014

My Mission to cross the Discworld

Hello all,

When I was about 5 I got my very own library card. It was possibly the most exciting day of my life up to that point. I have managed to achieve one or two other things that have surpassed this in the following 20 years but it was a tough act to beat.

It was at my local library that my love of reading was kindled and it's something that has never gone away. I don't think I have a particular favourite genre, but I do like a 'young adult' novel. You know the kind that tend to be about dystopian futures and get turned into films. But I also like mysteries, real life adventures, fiction in general and of course fantasty novels.

The only thing better than a good book is a good book series! The king of book series' on my shelves has to be Harry Potter but any when I was younger I loved Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and the Artemis Fowl stories too. The anticipation of a series is part of what makes it great. Knowing there's another book waiting for you, or that you have to wait for. The bittersweet feeling of holding the last book in your hands knowing that this is it. The end. You never wanted it to happen but it's what you 've been waiting for all this time.

 

More recently, the trilogy seems to have taken over from the longer series. I'm thinking:

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay

Crossed / Matched / Reached

Divergent / Insurgent / Allegient

 

I haven't finished the last trilogy yet but I very much enjoyed the first and am looking forward to starting the second one in the near future. But even though I enjoy a good trilogy, by their very nature, they just don't have the same feeling of journey, the same peaks of excitement when a new books is released, the build up a of anticipation that only grows as time goes on and the series grows with it.

 

A few years back now, my mum bought me the first three Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. I was thrilled.

This is it! This shall be my new series. And BOY what a series. I've just had a quick look on his website and there are currently 40 Discworld novels (not to mentions lots more that aren't part of this series in particular). But hmm... At around £7 a go this is going to be a pricey investment. I'm all for spending money on books. Better books than booze in my opinion. But £250ish spare pounds just isn't something I have.

 

So (inspired by a work colleague who did the same for another series) I am on the hunt. The charity shop, car boot sale, market stall hunt to complete my collection for a fraction of the price

As you can see, I'm not really close to completing my collection. But I will... One day!

Mort, Sorcery, Pyramids and Moving Pictures were an average of £2 each from the amazing Barter Bookshop in Alnick (please go an visit if you're in the area) which I don't think is too bad.

But... The Hogfather came from a car boot sale for just 50p! Bargain!

 

For the sake of my memory I will be putting a list of all the Discworld novels in my phone so I can be prepared at all times should an unsuspecting book cross my path!

 

I always love a recommendation so please feel free to share!

 

Happy Reading,

Charlotte xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment