Thursday 12 November 2015

Family #BEDN 10

They say you can't choose your family,and to an extent you can't. You really are lumped with your relatives and heritage. But you can choose who to keep in touch with and how much.

And then there is the 'concept' of family. At what point does a partner become family? Is it when you get married, when you have kids, when you move in together? What about those friends that you have that you spend more time with than your relatives, that you think of as family?

I have a work family. I spend 40 hours a week with those people, we care about each other and as such, they become like a little family group.

 

So what is family? I can't define it, but I know what it is to me. Here are my core family members detailed in pointless factoids and descriptions.

 

Mum: She is a no nonsense woman. She is kind. She is firm. She is fair. She is funny. She is the best cook and the best baker. I can already see myself turning into her and for the most part, I am okay with that. She trips up over her own feet a fair bit and she refuses to accept that TVs over 32" are acceptable. She has a strange obsession with that squeezy cheese you get in tubes.

 

Dad: He is smiley. He is happy. He has a very good beard. He is the most creative person I know and I'm pretty sure the inside of his head is like a massive shelving unit collapsing under the weight of off his crazy ideas. He taught me to ride a bike. He taught me to use a band saw. He taught me that it's okay to be weird and that having a laugh is the best way to deal with things.

 

Sister: She is frustrating. She is different. She likes Eastenders which I just don't understand. She has the most organised computer files I have ever seen but yet I am the one who works in admin. She is generous. She doesn't like to shout out at quiz shows. She paints. She volunteers. She is fussy when it comes to pizza. She has multiple books on the go at once.

 

Boy: He is dedicated. He is lazy. He is under enthused about almost everything. But when he cares, the enthusiasm overflows. He drives and he loves it. He has an interesting approach to cookery. He gives good hugs. The best. He makes me laugh. He is just as bad at me at bowling. He eats too fast. He wears so much green. He is very good at packing light.

 

They say you can't choose your family. I would choose mine.

Love Charlotte x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment