Wednesday 11 November 2015

Style #BEDN 9

Sorry that the below post is late. When I signed up for #BEDN I didn't realise I was going to get struck down by a rotten snotty bug and spend two days off work asleep. But even though I haven't blogged everyday, I still want to make an attempt at each topic, so here we go!


I don't really follow the fashion trends. I don't have enough of an interest to know who all the designers are. I just know if I like something at the time, not if it is actually 'fashionable'.

 

To me, there are two sides of the style coin.

Trendy style.

Personal style.

Trendy style to me is following what is in. What is now. What all the famous folk are wearing and what the shops are telling us we have to have. I struggle with following the trends. I don't have the disposable income. I don't have the space. I don't have the throw away mentality. I don't agree with wearing something because it is what you 'should be wearing' if it doesn't actually suit you. I don't aspire to follow the trends.

I aspire to personal style. I do okay. I can for the most part put together a nice outfit but I would like to be the sort of person who can put together a great outfit ALL the time. I've just not quite worked out what I take a great outfit is yet. I have a couple of winners in the wardrobe, but I don't want to wear the same thing everyday. That's boring. And I don't want to wear a variation of the same thing everyday. That's boring too. But that is what I end up doing a lot of the time because it is easy.

 

I like clothes. I enjoy finding that piece that looks great or that combination of things that just goes together perfectly. I'm not the best at it, I don't think I have an inherent flair for style. But I think that I manage pretty well.

 

And another thing? How many people experience the shopping paradox?

Have money: nothing in the shops you want to buy.

Have no money: shops overflowing with things you really want.

So frustrating.

 

I'm not sure what I am trying to say here to be honest.

If I'm being honest, which I am to trying to be, what I really want is to go through my entire wardrobe with the confidence and guts to chuck out everything that I don't 100% like. But I don't. Because that's hard, it takes effort and it would mean replacing those things without panic buying new things that I will end up wanting to chuck out in the near future anyway.

Or, a bigger wardrobe. That would do nicely.

 

If anyone has any top tips for deciding what to buy or what to keep or what to chuck out please do let me know. It's probably shallow of me, but I feel better on a day where I have an outfit I am happy with.

 

Love Charlotte

 

No comments:

Post a Comment